The breweries that make craft beer are always small, independent, and traditional. The history of the word craft beer started in 1600. The first name was Microbrewery. Microbreweries were restricted to produce a limited number of beer barrels per year. The Missouri Liquor control put it at 10,000 barrels or less per annum. Companies started growing in terms of distribution and gained brand recognition. They ceased being micro and adopted the name Craft Beer Companies.
Major craft beer brewing companies are in major cities and towns in Canada. 80% of them are situated in densely populated provinces like Ontario and Quebec. Provinces in Canada have a different set of liquor business rules due to Importation of Intoxicating Liquor Act. This makes it hard for breweries to sell liquor across province borders.
Craft beer companies
- Yukon Brewing
- Started operation in 1997
- Has a famous tagline that says “beer worth freezing.”
- Produces brands such as Longest Night, Ice Fog, and Yukon Gold
- Phillips Brewing and Malting Company.
- Kicked off operations in 2001 as a one-man operation in Victoria B.C.
- Matt Phillips is the founder and owner.
- Its best beer brand is the Amnesiac.
- Amnesiac has an 8.5% ABV (alcohol by volume).
- Four Wind Brewing
This brewing company focuses on the unique west coast and European styles of beer. Brands produced include;
- Hoppy IPA’S
- Funky Saisons.
- Refreshing weisses and the most notable one being Nectarious
Nectarious is a dry hopped sour beer. Hops are added at a later stage in the brewing process to increase hop aroma and not bitterness. Some strains of bacteria are added while brewing in order to create a sour flavor. Canadian craft beer has a notable pundit who is known as Eli Gershkovitch. He is the CEO of steam works group of companies.
Eli Gershkovitch has been in craft beer business for 21 years (WingsJournal). He opened steam works pub in 1995 when such operations were not the norm in Canada. He opened a full-scale brewery in 2013 with a production capacity of 40,000 hectoliters. He flew from Vancouver to Europe and back in a single Engine Cessna. Eli Gershkovitch is also a lawyer.